This post may contain affiliate links. Should you make a purchase by clicking on any of the links, I may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Read my full affiliate disclosure here
If you are looking for the top digital marketing skills you will need in 2021, you are in the right place.
Pursuing a career in digital marketing is a great move. Everything is turning digital nowadays and the best part is that you do not need a degree to get a job in digital marketing.
How to learn the skills needed for a career in digital marketing without a degree?
The best part is that because the digital landscape is changing so fast from month to month and even day to day, universities cannot develop a curriculum that will still be relevant after 3-4 years, therefore courses and articles are your best bet to learning the digital marketing skills needed to enter this field.
There are thousands of online courses and resources that can teach you any skill needed in digital marketing.
These are the top digital marketing skills needed for a career in digital marketing in 2021:
- Social Media Skills
- Copywriting Skills
- SEO Skills
- Email Marketing Skills
- Graphic Design Skills
- Paid Advertising Skills
Social media skills
Obviously, this is where any marketer should start. There are so many social media channels out there, from Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Twitter, Youtube, and many others.
Your best bet is to learn the difference between them, which channel works better for which type of audience, and then focus on mastering one or two. Here are the best courses for learning social media:
The great thing about this course is that not only it is very comprehensive and free, it also provides for a fee with an industry-recognized certification if you wish to be a certified marketer.
The curriculum includes:
- Introduction to Social Media Marketing
- Optimizing your Social Media Profiles
- Social Media Strategy – from A to Z
- Growing your advocate community
- Social Content Marketing
- Social Advertising Fundamentals
- Social Marketing Certification Exam
This short, free course, is provided by Facebook. Learn how to create optimal ads for your Facebook campaigns. This Facebook course includes:
- 3 Key elements of a Facebook ad
- A quick guide to Facebook ad formats on pages
- Creative Options for Facebook Ads
- 4 Tips for great ad creative
- How to upload images for your Facebook ads
- How to upload videos for your Facebook ads
- How to write a Facebook ad
- Tips for writing great Facebook ad copy
This is a short, 15-minute free course created by Facebook to help you get familiar with their apps and how you can use them to grow your business. This course will walk you through:
- Introduction to the Facebook Family of Apps and Services
- Introduction to Messenger
- Introduction to Facebook
- Introduction to Instagram
- Introduction to Audience Network
This free Twitter course provided by Twitter themselves includes 2 modules:
- Twitter video advertising foundations
- Twitter video advertising campaign basics
This is another free course provided by Facebook directly (Facebook acquired Instagram) and it provides a great introduction to using Instagram for business. The course includes the following modules:
- A beginner’s guide to Instagram for business
- Create an Instagram business account
- Tips for telling your business’ visual story on Instagram
- Learn about your customers with Instagram Insights
- Promote your Instagram posts to connect with more customers
This free YouTube course is indeed the quickest guide to YouTube. It was created by YouTube Creator Academy and it’s comprised of 4 lessons:
- Welcome to YouTube
- YouTube basics
- Brand your channel
- An introduction to YouTube policies and guidelines
This free YouTube course by HubSpot Academy will help you build your audience and YouTube while learning from influencers how to become successful on this platform. The course includes the following chapters:
- YouTube Strategy: Making the Most of YouTube’s Platform Algorithm
- How to Create an Optimized YouTube Channel
- How to Create High-Performing Video Content on YouTube
- Scaling Your YouTube Channel: YouTube SEO, Growing Subscribers and Monetizing Your Videos
McKinzie Bean is one of the most successful bloggers out there. She has grown her blog, Moms Make Cents with the help of Pinterest and she has now created her own free Pinterest course hoping to help others create money-making blogs.
This Pinterest course will help you:
- Learn how to create a perfectly optimized Pinterest profile
- Learn the secret strategies for creating viral pins
- Learn how to be present on Pinterest all day, with only an hour of work per week
- Learn which Pinterest myths are junk and which you actually need to pay attention to
- Learn the most common Pinterest mistakes bloggers make
Having copywriting skills is essential in being good at digital marketing as you need copy for basically everything that you put out there, be it blog posts, press releases, social media posts, website content, etc.
Here are some of the best copywriting courses that will teach how to become a successful writer/copywriter, even if you thought you are not good at writing:
This course is the best course to learn copywriting. While it teaches you the basics of copywriting, what it is, how to become a copywriter, it will also teach you how to actually make a business out of copywriting and start working from home, if this is something you are interested in.
The creator of the course, Gina Horkey, has packed 16 lessons in this course that she promises can be taken in 30 days or less and start making money at the same time, in 30 days or less.
She herself is a successful copywriter who has built an empire through copywriting and is now teaching others to do the same.
The Ultimate Guide to no-pain copywriting is actually a very comprehensive article. It’s a must-read if you want to become a successful copywriter.
Under the umbrella of writing, there is also proofreading. If you have a great eye for catching errors, proofreading might be the career for you. You can become a freelance proofreader even without any experience.
Check out this FREE workshop below:
The demand for SEO experts grows every month worldwide. Knowing SEO can help you land a well-paid job or even allow you to become a freelancer and work on your own terms as an SEO Consultant.
Here are some of the best free SEO courses available online:
Moz is among the leaders in SEO, therefore this free SEO course is one of the best to get you started. It includes:
- Introduction to SEO
- SEO 101
- How search engines work: crawling, indexing, and ranking
- Keyword research
- On-site optimization
- Technical SEO
- Link building and establishing authority
- Measuring, prioritizing and executing SEO
- The SEO glossary
Created by Google to help webmasters rank well in Google while following their guidelines, this free course is a great tool to up your SEO skills. It includes:
- SEO Basics: create unique, accurate page titles. Make use of the “description” meta tag.
- Improving Site Structure: improve the structure of your URLs. Make your site easier to navigate.
- Optimizing Content: offer quality content and services. Write better anchor text. Optimize your use of images. Use heading tags appropriately.
- Dealing with Crawlers: make effective use of robots.txt. Be aware of rel=”nofollow” for links
- SEO for Mobile Phones: notify Google of mobile sites. Guide mobile users accurately.
- Promotion and Analysis: promote your website in the right ways. Make use of free webmaster tools.
Google Analytics for beginners is a free course to help you get familiar with Google Analytics, as this will be your most important tool while doing SEO.
This free Google Analytics course includes the following modules:
- Introduction to Google Analytics: Why digital analytics?
- How Google Analytics works
- Google Analytics setup
- How to set up views with filters
- The Google Analytics Interface: Navigating Google Analytics
- Understanding overview reports
- Understanding full reports
- Understanding overview reports
- How to share reports
- How to set up dashboards and shortcuts
- Basic Reports: Audience reports
- Acquisition reports
- Behavior reports
- Basic Campaign and Conversion Tracking: How to measure custom campaigns
- Tracking campaigns with the URL Builder
- Use Goals to measure business objectives
- How to measure Google Ads campaigns
- Course review and next steps
Email Marketing skills
This email marketing course is a free certification course and it walks you through the basics of inbound marketing.
Inbound Marketing course is great for students who prefer the video format. The course includes the following modules:
- Inbound Marketing Fundamentals
- Understanding Social Media Promotion
- Developing a Conversational Growth Strategy
- Understanding Conversion Strategy
- Creating a Conversion Optimization Strategy
- Understanding Lead Nurturing
- Aligning Your Marketing With Sales
- Applying a Customer Marketing Approach
This is another free certification course by HubSpot Academy. It includes the following chapters in a video format as well:
- Understanding Email Marketing
- Creating a Contact Management and Segmentation Strategy
- Sending the Right Email
- Creating a High-Performing Email
- Understanding Email Deliverability
- Analyzing Your Marketing Emails
- Testing Your Marketing Emails
- Developing Relationships With Lead Nurturing
Inbound is the third free certification course from the HubSpot Academy series on email marketing. It includes the following chapters:
- Understanding the Fundamentals of Inbound
- Growing Your Business With a Flywheel Model
- Creating a Company Purpose
- Setting Business Goals
- Creating Buyer Personas
- Developing The Buyer’s Journey for Your Business
Graphic Design Skills
Graphic design skills, although not really mandatory, their always an asset. Usually, companies will hire someone dedicated to graphic design, however, having these skills will help you get a better-paid job or save you money if you are to start your own consulting business.
Here are some great free graphic design courses for beginners:
This is an introduction to graphic design, teaching you how to design simple graphics even without any prior experience.
Graphic Design Essentials is a great free, short course on Graphic Design. The video format makes it easy to navigate all the following chapters:
- Graphic Design Principles and Best Practices
- Design Foundations: Building Brand Guidelines and Consistency
- Designing and Building Graphics
Paid Advertising Skills
Whichever medium or channel you decide to put your digital marketing efforts in, almost always it will require paid ads. Be is Facebook ads, Instagram or LinkedIn ads (social media ads), to programmatic ads (google ads, PPC, etc.), if you wish to pursue a career in digital marketing, you absolutely need to work on your paid advertising skills.
One of the best free courses for paid ads is:
This is a step-by-step guide for beginners and it includes:
- What is PPC (pay per click)?
- Click-Through Rate (CTR)
- Quality Score
Learning these digital marketing skills pays of whether you pursue a career in digital marketing or not.
If you are currently working in Digital Marketing and you are looking for remote jobs, I recommend FlexJobs.
FlexJobs is the leading job service for remote jobs, work from home jobs, flexible jobs, offering full-time, part-time, and contract high-paying opportunities to job seekers.
It is a premium job search service, offering you personalized support, curated and trusted resources and guiding tools to help you with your job search.
What makes FlexJobs stand out from the other websites for jobs is the fact that all the jobs on their website are hand-screened.
On top of having access to 23,000+ high salary jobs from 4,900+ companies that are currently hiring, you will also find resources about checklists, award-winning career content from top writers, and more than 170 expert skills tests to better assess and promote your skills.
If you are actively job searching and don’t get invited to job interviews, one of the reasons might be your resume.
Whether you are using a wrong format or just don’t know how to sell yourself, below is a professional resume template that will surely help you stand out in the pool of hundreds or thousands of job applicants.
It includes 1, 2, and 3 pages templates, along with a cover letter template, and besides, you will also get a 50+ page “Guide to Landing the Job” bonus.
This resume template has helped hundreds of job seekers land a job interview and eventually their dream job.
Click on the image below to find out more
- Top 17 websites for remote jobs
- 77 High paying jobs that let you work remotely
- 22 Lucrative part-time work from home jobs in 2020
- Side hustle ideas to make an extra $1000 per month
- Top 10 recession-proof jobs
- The best paying jobs that you can do from home
- People you need to follow on LinkedIn if you are looking for a job
- How to land a job interview
- How to get an offer after any job interview
- The most common job interview questions and how to answer them
- Things to never do in a job interview
- How to use LinkedIn to get a job
- Why you should consider blogging as a career
- Best websites for remote jobs
- How to find a job when you don’t know where to start
- How to ask for a referral to get a job interview
- The best questions to ask an interviewer